Sunday, November 13, 2011

Welcome to Boston!!

Well. I'm here. Yikes! I've been meaning to write this post for about a month now since that's how long I've been here but I am a slacker and have been busy getting adjusted and settled so that hasn't happened! Hopefully I will be better at this in the future.
 
So lets just start at the very beginning. A very good place to start. (I may or may not be watching The Sound Of Music as I type this.)

I arrived in Boston on a Thursday evening, when a lovely girl from the Relief Society named Dara came and picked me up from the airport and took me to my cute house. I will take some pictures and do another post with those but for now, it's a cute yellow house and I live on the 2nd floor with 2 other girls. The downstairs is another apartment with LDS boys, who are very nice and helpful neighboors.

The first couple of weeks that I was here were spent sleeping on an air mattress and living out of a suitcase which made it a little difficult to feel settled and like this was going to be home for the next year, but eventually a bed was bought and delivered and some drawers and crates bought and things are organized and feel very home like now which is great.

I started working at my job the Monday after I arrived and it has had both it's ups and downs. For the purpose of this introductory post basically I work with 4th-8th graders who are in what's called a LAB cluster, which means that they have had behavior or learning issues that have prevented them from succeeding in a regular classroom so they are in the LAB. I basically help out in the classroom kicking kids out when they are misbehaving or causing distractions and then trying to get them back into class as soon as possible. It has been an interesting job trying to figure out where I fit with teachers and the paras that work there as well, but that whole story is for another day.

Most of the the kids I work with are minorities, to the tune of literally 99% and that has definitely been an adjustment coming from heavily white Utah but it has been eye opening and a great growing experience for me. They are generally great kids who can be total pains in the butt's sometimes, but there are moments and successes that make things worth it.

More to come at some point soon about some of my adventures thus far!

3 comments:

  1. Dude Missy!
    I am so glad you got settled in. How is Boston in the fall? Do you have a ton of snow up there? That is awesome that you live so close to some LDS guys ;) Sounds like work is keeping you busy, but that you are having a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boston is great in the fall! It actually has only snowed once here and then it melted. I am hoping that the snow holds off for as long as possible, but it should be getting cold soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Missy, you should blog more. ....just saying... I like reading it.

    ReplyDelete